On the Issues
The Economy and Jobs
- Has been helping improve the economy so private companies can create jobs and put Americans back to work, resulting in 28 straight months of private-sector job growth.
- Wrote part of the bipartisan JOBS Act which is now law and will make it easier for growing companies to raise money to expand their operations and grow jobs.
- Supports investment to improve roads, bridges, and rail lines, putting people back to work today and securing our future prosperity.
- Worked hard to create real financial regulatory reform—to both prevent a future crisis and ensure a financial market that works for consumers and businesses alike.
- Believes that growing deficit is a challenge that must be addressed now: if we fix our deficit problems now, we will do so in a smart way that helps us invest in our future. If we wait too long, our creditors like China will dictate the process.
- Was one of the 38 Members of Congress to vote for the bipartisan Simpson-Bowles deficit reduction plan, which eliminates $4 trillion of debt over ten years. USA Today listed Jim among the "Brave 38" for his vote.
- Supported bipartisan legislation to force the two parties to negotiate in good faith to avert a replay of the 2011 showdown over the "debt ceiling" (which resulted in the first-ever downgrade of our nation's credit rating).
- Voted to cut taxes repeatedly throughout the recession, including the $275 billion of tax cuts in the Recovery Act, the reduction of the payroll tax, and the two-year extension of the 2001 and 2003 income tax cuts.
- Supports PAYGO, which requires new spending be funded before it is signed in to law.
- Recognizes the importance of early childhood education and supports legislation to help make quality pre-school education available to all.
- Supports a robust, interdisciplinary public education system.
- Will fight to close the “achievement gap” facing families in districts with underperforming public schools.
- Believes every American should be have access to the level of education they require to reach their life goal.
- Supports the DREAM act to help make college a reality for more young adults.
- Increased accessibility to higher education by supporting the Pell grant program.
- Fought to help keep Stafford Loan rates low, making college more affordable for millions of Americans.
- Wants to reduce our reliance on foreign oil.
- Supports finding and using domestic gas and oil reserves, provided we do not recklessly endanger people or the environment to do so.
- Supports long-term development of clean, renewable energy sources like wind and photovoltaic, which reduce our consumption of fossil fuels and create whole new high-tech industries for future job growth.
- Supports and voted for laws that promote better energy efficiency, saving money and reducing energy consumption.
- Was named one of the most pro-environment legislators by the League of Conservation Voters.
- Will keep America’s air and water clean by supporting conservation programs in Long Island Sound, as well as Greenwich, Stamford, and Norwalk harbors.
- Helped preserve 2 million acres of wilderness and parks across America.
- Wants to reduce reliance on dirty-burning fossil fuels.
- Supports sustainable and renewable energy sources and envisions America as “green energy” leader in the global energy market and supports legislation benefiting renewable energy entrepreneurs.
Foreign Policy and Defense
- Knows that Israel is America's friend and ally and supports a two-state solution to bring peace to the region.
- Voted for free trade agreements with Panama, Colombia and South Korea.
- Stands with our allies and will employ every resource at our disposal to deter and confront hostile actors around the world.
- Will defend our nation without bankrupting it.
- Opposed the war in Iraq and supports the drawdown of troops in Afghanistan.
Social Security and Medicare
- Will fight to protect Social Security and Medicare.
- Rejects the Republican plan to turn Medicare into a voucher program. The Republican plan will shift costs to seniors and radically change Medicare.
- Will not support any attempt to privatize Social Security.
- Voted for a budget based on the Simpson-Bowles plan, which includes the reforms we need.
- Helped pass the Medicare Physician Payment Reform Act that ensures seniors can choose the doctor they trust.
- Voted for health care reform which will eliminate the Medicare Prescription Drug “doughnut hole” and gave seniors affected by this gap $250 toward their prescription drugs to cover their costs before the fix goes completely into effect.
- Voted for an immediate 50% discount on brand-name prescriptions for seniors affected by the Medicare “doughnut hole."
- Supports increased investment in transportation to get people back to work and repair outdated roads, bridges, and rail lines
- Voted for improvements to Metro-North trains and stations.
- Led the effort to secure multi-million dollar transportation infrastructure grants to improve access to the Stamford train station and build the new roads to necessary to redevelop Steel Point in Bridgeport.
- Worked to connect resources from the local, state, and federal governments to make the Pulse Point bus project in Norwalk a reality and to give mass transit in Bridgeport a boost. The transit hubs in both cities are serving more riders while polluting less.
- Voted for the Recovery Act, which funded transportation improvements throughout the towns of southwestern Connecticut.
- Honors the service of our nation's veterans and recognizes a deep moral obligation to strengthen our nation's network of support for American veterans.
- Has supported legislation to improve the Veterans Administration's provision of care. Jim supported new laws to: allow the VA to hire more doctors and nurses and establish new clinics and health service centers for veterans across the country; provide post-traumatic stress and mental health screening to every returning soldier; and vastly expand VA health care services for our 1.8 million women veterans.
- Has assisted hundreds of veterans and their families who have asked for his help through his lcoal offices.
- Worked on legislation designed to address the mental health needs of veterans and reduce the rate of suicide among veterans. These include the Veterans Mental Health Screening and Assessment Act and the Sergeant Coleman S. Bean Reserve Component Suicide Prevention Act.
- Promotes and participates in the Veterans History Project to document the experiences of veterans and preserve them for generations to come.
- Is a proud advocate for women's rights.
- Supports a woman’s right to choose and fights against violations of women’s reproductive right.
- Speaks out against efforts to weaken protections for women from abusive partners and voted to protect all women from domestic violence.
- Believes in equal pay for equal work. He voted for the Ledbetter Act and co-sponsored the Paycheck Fairness Act to help end pay discrimination.
SUPPORT MY CAMPAIGN
Help JIM Win your Town
We have volunteer captains ready to work with you.
SIGN UP TO VOLUNTEER >>
Which town can get the most endorsements?
ENDORSE JIM NOW >>
Like our page
Help spread the word about Jim and this campaign.
LIKE JIM ON FACEBOOK >>
Join the conversation on Twitter and retweet Jim's tweets.
FOLLOW JIM @ JAHIMES >>