On Monday, President Biden made history when he signed the bipartisan Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act into law. This landmark legislation will invest $1 trillion in our country’s future. With this historic investment we will improve our roads, bridges and railway systems, create good paying jobs, increase broadband coverage, strengthen community resiliency to respond – and tackle – the climate crisis, and much more.
The $5.4 billion being allocated to Connecticut has never come at a better time and will improve the lives of all residents. Here is how the money is anticipated to be spent in CT over the next five years:
- $3.5 billion for federal-aid highway apportioned programs and $561 million for bridge replacement and repairs
- $1.3 billion to improve public transportation options
- $445 million to improve water infrastructure
- $100 million to help provide broadband coverage
- $62 million for infrastructure development for airports
- $53 million over five years to support the expansion of an electric vehicle charging network
- $13 million to protect against cyberattacks
- $6.4 million over five years to protect against wildfires
- $106 million to restore and preserve the Long Island Sound
This historic legislation is a reminder of what Democrats and Republicans can accomplish when we work together. It shows voters that even in hyper partisan times the Democratic Party deliver and works together to improve the lives of all Americans. This is why it is critical we maintain Democratic majority in 2022 to continue delivering for the American people and keep our country moving in the right direction.